NEW FOOTAGE, ADDED MUSIC
1. When 'Halloween II' premiered on television in 1982, a lot of changes were made, including over 20 minutes of new footage, changes in dialogue, and the exclusion of all profanity and explicit violence. Nearly all of the death scenes were affected, and scenes were even re-edited and placed into different spots in the film. Many of the scenes are now time-compressed and run a lot faster than the theatrical version, and many scenes that were previously without music now have bits of John Carpenter's soundtrack added.
2. The credits come at the very beginning of the film, directly after the Universal logo, and not after the recap of the first movie.
3. The flashback to the first film contains additional sound effects, including a voice-over scream (supposedly from Laurie) when Loomis shoots Michael Myers.
LOOMIS ON FRONT LAWN
4. There is a different shot used of Loomis emerging from the house to find Michael's missing body.
5. The lines "I've been trick-or-treated to death tonight" and "You don't know what death is!" have been eliminated with an awkward voice-over from the neighbor saying "Is this a Halloween prank?" instead.
6. A scene that was scripted and shot but not included in either the theatrical or TV version of the film had Robert Mundy and the WWAR crew traveling to Haddonfield Memorial to try to interview Laurie on the events of the night. They are met, however, by a stern Mrs. Alves, who warns them to leave before she calls security while Janet, Jill, and Jimmy watch on.
THE ELROD HOUSE
7. The scene where Michael steals a knife from the Elrod's is out of place, appearing slightly later in the film, and re-edited to suggest that Myers kills Mrs. Elrod instead of Alice next door.
THE MUNDY VOICE OVERS
8. The voice-over announcements of Robert Mundy run slightly differently, depending on when they appear over the extra scenes.
LAURIE ON THE STRETCHER
9. There is an extra close-up shot of Laurie inserted before Jimmy and Budd bring her out of the house on the stretcher.
10. A few extra lines of dialogue with the female reporter near the beginning of the film were changed.
BEN TRAMER'S DEATH
11. After Ben Tramer is killed by the policeman's car in the explosion, the scene uses an alternate take that depicts Loomis and Brackett's reactions, and also when Hunt pulls up to tell Brackett that Annie's body was discovered.
12. The first view of Annie's corpse when Brackett identifies her is deleted.
LAURIE ARRIVES AT THE HOSPITAL
13. A different take of the dialogue is used when Laurie arrives at the hospital. All shots of her being stuck with needles are removed, and the scene is extended to include shots of Mrs. Alves, Dr. Mixter, and Jill leaning over her as her vision blurs. Then they begin to undress her as Mrs. Alves tells Jimmy and Budd to leave.
GARY AND THE RAZOR BLADES
14. The first scene that shows the kid with the razor blade in his mouth is removed, with only the section where he and his mother arrive at the ER and talk to Jill remaining.
DOUBLE BULLET SEDATIVE
15. An extra scene is added where Janet talks to Jimmy about Laurie's injuries and tells him that Dr. Mixter gave her a double-bullet sedative.
THE OBVIOUS PROBLEM
16. An extra scene of Jill talking to Budd and Mr. Garrett is added while they listen to reports of the murders. Mr. Garrett says drugs are the obvious problem.
17. An extra scene is added where a shaky Dr. Mixter reviews Laurie's medical procedures with Mrs. Alves.
TEENAGE PUNKS ON DRUGS
18. Extra dialogue is added between Mr. Garrett and Karen as he buzzes her in. He tells Karen the murders were committed because of "teenage punks on drugs".
19. Mrs. Alves tries to call Laurie's parents while she scolds Janet for not calling them immediately. Meanwhile, Jimmy sneaks in to see Laurie, and Mrs. Alves tells him she'll give him two minutes and that's all, which explains why later she says, "Time's up, Jimmy. Let's go."
20. Karen and Jimmy discuss whether Michael Myers really burned to death in the accident, while Michael lurks in the shadows behind them.
THE MATERNITY WARD
21. Different sound effects are heard of the babies in the maternity ward as Michael lurks among them.
JIMMY BRINGS LAURIE A COKE
22. An extended scene is added that depicts Jimmy bringing Laurie the Coke he promised her before he tells her it was Michael Myers stalking her.
THE PHONE BOX
23. When Mr. Garrett goes to check the phones, an added voice-over line where he explains he's going to check the phone box in the storage room is heard.
MR. GARRETT'S DEATH
24. Mr. Garrett's death scene originally ran longer, with different inserts of Michael shown. In the first cut, Michael is shown opening a door and coming down the stairs while Mr. Garrett looks through the store room. The music that plays in the background is the Shape Stalks theme, which first ran only during the final chase scene.
LOSS OF POWER
25. A scene where Jill is on the phone (AFTER the phones are supposedly taken out!) is added, and Jimmy sneaks by her to go into Laurie's room to tell her that Michael Myers is dead. Instead of being relieved, Laurie panics and says that she has to get out of there, and Mrs. Alves, Jill, and Janet all come in to help sedate her. While they are working on Laurie, the lights in the hospital go out, and the emergency generator kicks on, which explains why the hospital is so dim for the rest of the film.
LOOMIS AT CORONER'S OFFICE
26. A different take is used of the scene where Loomis examines the charred remains of Ben Tramer. The scene also extends to include a scene of Loomis and Hunt walking outside the morgue to get in an elevator, where Loomis explains that he believes the wounded Myers might try and go home to nurse his injuries.
GRAHAM VOICE OVER
27. An extra voice-over is added in the scene where neighborhood kids throw rocks at the Myers house. Graham is heard telling the mob, "Michael Myers isn't here; we've checked the entire house!"
LOOMIS AND HUNT AT THE MYERS HOUSE
28. An extra scene shows Loomis and Hunt approaching the house while Hunt yells at people to go home.
COMING TO GET HER
29. A scene is added where Janet talks to Karen and tells her how creepy it is that the lights went out and how Laurie was screaming about Michael Myers coming to get her.
THERAPY ROOM CONVINCING
30. Extra dialogue is added in the scene where Budd tries to convince Karen to go with him to the therapy room.
BUDD AND KAREN
31. The dialogue between Budd and Karen cuts immediately to a shot of Karen entering the therapy room, where Bud is already naked in the therapy tub. The scene also includes extra shots of the temperature gauge slowly rising and Michael Myers' hand turning it up. There is an alternate take of Karen talking to whom she thinks is Budd standing behind her, turning around to see that it's Michael Myers. The scene concludes with just one shot of her being shoved into the scalding water.
32. The scenes where Marion arrives are directly connected to when she leaves with Dr. Loomis in the Marshall's car.
JIMMY AND JILL
33. When Jimmy discovers Laurie lying there in shock, there is extra dialogue as Jimmy and Jill wait for Dr. Mixter to respond to their call. In the theatrical version, this is where Janet runs to get Mixter and discovers his body, and is killed. That entire sequence was removed and Jimmy finally gets restless and says he's going to find Mrs. Alves.
JIMMY SEARCHES FOR MRS. ALVES
34. There is an added scene of Jimmy looking for Mrs. Alves and finding the ladies lounge empty.
35. Laurie's dream is placed differently and features a new voice-over of a little-girl voice saying, "Please don't hurt me, Michael! I'm your sister!"
MICHAEL ENTERS LAURIE'S ROOM
36. When Michael goes into Laurie's hospital room, he doesn't have a scalpel in his hand, and he is shown tossing a pillow aside. There is also an extra shot of him closing the door behind himself as he leaves.
LAURIE ON THE PHONE
37. When Laurie crawls into the empty hospital room and grabs the phone, she tries to speak and cries into the phone, "Mama, he won't die! He won't go away!"
JIMMY'S SEARCH CONTINUES
38. There are extra shots of Jimmy exploring the hospital, looking for other people. It gives the impression that he has wandered around the hospital for most of the final portion of the film.
JIMMY AND JILL 2
39. The dialogue between Jimmy and Jill originally ran longer. They talk about the hospital being seemingly empty, and the fact that they have to find Laurie.
NURSE JILL'S DEATH
40. Jill's death scene was softened. The shot of Michael stabbing her in the back with the scalpel was removed, and now it appears as if he simply grabs Jill and drops her. There was an extra shot of Jill dropping her head as she dies.
THE MARSHAL'S CAR
41. An extra shot of Loomis and Marion in the back of the Marshall's car and extra shots of the car driving through Haddonfield are inserted.
JIMMY NOT IN THE CAR
42. All evidence of Jimmy being in the parked car with Laurie is cut out because he's supposed to be looking for others during the entire climax of the film.
LOOMIS SHOOTS MICHAEL
43. Loomis only shoots Michael twice when he bursts through the glass door.
THE MARSHAL'S DEATH
44. The Marshal's death was also originally different. Instead of having his throat slit, Michael stabs him in the back from behind.
THE OPERATING ROOM
45. Different angles in the operating room are added as the blinded Michael slashes out with his scalpel.
46. The television editing makes it appear as if Jimmy's fall is caused by the explosion.
WHAT'S THE COUNT
47. Graham's dialogue is altered in the final scenes where Hunt asks him the body count; he gives no exact estimate.
WE MADE IT
48. There was an alternate ending where Jimmy is shown as a survivor, in the ambulance with Laurie. In it, Laurie cries, "We made it," as the ambulance takes them away and 'Mr. Sandman' begins to play.
Back To Halloween II Page
Back To The Lair Of Horror