ORIGINAL OPENING- REESE HOSPITAL (1:11)
1. The original opening of the movie was a lot different. In it, Freddy is portrayed as "John Doe" following his burning at the hands of the parents of Springwood. He is laying in bed wrapped entirely in bandages, and his heart monitor is slowly beeping. Then, his breathing slows and his monitor flatlines, and the main titles come up.
2. Dean's death was originally much different. At first, Kris hosted a garden party at her house, and Dean ended up falling asleep and falling to his death. This was cut and changed to the more effective opening we saw theatrically.
FREDDY BEHIND THE BOX (2:36)
3. There was originally a slight alteration to the scene where Kris encounters Freddy in her garage. At first, Freddy was hiding behind a stack of boxes, then scares Kris when she shines her light on him. This was changed to the quick cut of Freddy's shadowed face attacking her to prevent the audience from seeing too much of Freddy's new look too soon in the film.
4. There was a scene extension of where Freddy confronts Kris in the garage. In it, Freddy initially confronts Kris in a candlelight lair, and Kris sees visions of more of the young children from Freddy's past.
NIGHTMARE STREET (0:58)
5. This scene was an extension of the scene where Nancy and Quentin crash and walk to the pre-school. In it, Nancy begins seeing things, including a burned out town of Springwood, and a mutilated dog similar to the one seen at the factory in 'A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge'. Nancy then shakes herself out of it and asks, "How long have I been awake?" Quentin replies, "Way too long".
KRUEGER TAUNTS NANCY
6. Originally, when Nancy falls into the blood-flooded hallway and cannot get out, there are more shots of her struggling, as well as shots of Freddy posing as Kris and taunting her with his claw.
ALTERNATE ENDING #1- JUST THE WAY IT WAS (6:12)
7. There is an alternate ending where Freddy reveals himself to Nancy without his burned, scarred face. It picks up where Nancy falls through the ceiling through the hallway of blood and lands in her bed. Freddy then appears, and takes away his burns, so it could be "just the way it was". Freddy slices Nancy in her neck in bed, then instead of saying "sweet dreams", he says "I swear...you're all mine now". Nancy then pulls him out of the dream. From there, Nancy does most of the fight, beating Freddy numerous times with a wooden baseball bat. Freddy is not in his burned form for the duration, and Nancy breaks his claws with a shot from the baseball bat, yelling "Look what YOU did to me!" and "Look at me!" the same way Freddy yelled them at her in her dream. Freddy calls her "my little Nancy", then Nancy fires back, "I'm all grown up now, you twisted f*ck!", knocks over some chemicals and sets him on fire. Freddy then stumbles around like he did in basement of the original film, and Nancy and Quentin escape.
ALTERNATE ENDING #2- QUENTIN IN CHURCH
8. There is an alternate ending that features Quentin exploring a dilapidated church, only to be pursued and killed off by Freddy, who was hiding in a cloak.
Back To Nightmare On Elm Street Page
Back To The Lair Of Horror